Saturday, October 3, 2009

You're My Pumpee-Yumpee-Umpkin, You're My Sweetie-Pie














































It's just my favorite thing in the world when teachers come up with homework assignments that turn into homework assignments for the parents (read: sarcasm...)! Natasha came home all excited from school with grandiose plans for her pumpkin contribution to Legacy Elementary's annual Pumpkin Walk. Natasha's class theme was "Life is a Highway" and the pumpkins were to resemble cars. She was spouting off words like "chicken wire," "paper-mache," "glitter," and I'm trying hard not to show in my expression the cringing I felt inside. Her incredible creativity knows no bounds, so I should hardly be the one to provide the boundaries, right? Sheesh. Shayne and I attempted to funnel the creativity into something do-able (and, I'm hoping, easy!) But, she was not going to be swayed. She was willing to give up the chicken wire, but not her concept in whole. So, Shayne, being the dad he is, offered to help her as much as he could. Out to the "shop" they went to construct the body of the VW bug her pumpkin was destined to be since a little seed!
For two nights, we all worked on fabricating the bug and Tasha spent several hours painting the face she had pre-drawn while bored at school that day (hmpf....I won't elaborate on that!) She was so happy with the final product, and I was so proud of her for her creation. And, not that I'm biased, it was the best pumpkin of her entire class! Connor and Dane also made pumpkins to go with their class themes, but, thankfully, did not require parents to get involved. Connor's was a piece of colorful candy, and Dane's was a moose. Of course, I didn't take the camera with us the night we attended the Pumpkin Walk (as it was pitch black and freezing). But we were proud of their creations as well! Love you guys and your enthusiasm for pumpkin art...

1 comment: