

"Your tooth is wiggly!" I proclaimed to Dane one day at the dentist's office. "It is??" he excitedly responded. So commenced the daily wiggling of his first loose tooth. In the beginning, he thought it was fun to grab that little nub of a tooth and try to move it ever so slightly. As days turned into weeks, the fun disappeared. Then the complaining started: "When is my tooth going to come out?" became the daily, whining query. I kept telling him to wiggle, wiggle, wiggle it. At all times. Then, I noticed the giant permanent tooth quickly encroaching on the baby's space. And I sighed in a moment of oft felt submission. You see, here's the deal: My children have small mouths. I figured since half of their genetic makeup comes from their father, they might inherit his smaller, thinner teeth. Not so. As the Preator children have had children, and those children have had the joy of permanent teeth erupting in their little gums, we've decided those Preator "chicklets" (as Shayne lovingly calls them!) are dominant! Our saving grace? Those big teeth make great smiles, as adults. In a six-year-old's mouth, they look largely out of place. So, it is with a bit of sadness that I see those perfect, tiny baby teeth begin to fall out to be replaced by their MUCH larger big brothers. Someday, I tell my little people, your teeth will be gorgeous! In the meantime, well, we just love their sweet smiles anyway. And, needless to say, Dane was ecstatic when his tooth popped out Thursday night and the lovely tooth fairy left him $1.50!
We feel your pain. All 3 of our kids already have appointments with the orthodontist to solve the problem of their tiny mouths and large Preator teeth!!
ReplyDelete